Bedroom interior decorating can be one of the most challenging projects in the home. This is because bedrooms have to perform far more functions than you might at first think. How about these for starters:
- Sleep (obviously!)
- Have breakfast
- Work with laptop/ write letters
- Watch TV
- Store clothes and shoes
The best way to demonstrate bedroom interior decorating suggestions is to look at a floor plan. The floor plan you can see further down the page is for a main bedroom of reasonable size, say about 16'0" by 18'0" (approximately 4.9m by 5.5m). You can see how this floor plan looks in three dimensions in the illustration further down the page.
Notice the following points
- Make sure you leave major traffic ways clear, such as from the entrance door (top right) to the ensuite door (left side), and also to the dressing table by the window. The blue lines illustrate this. Each bedroom is different, but by following this principle you'll have a room which is functional as well as attractive.
- Leave plenty of room around the bed. There will be times when you stagger out (or into) the bed in a semi conscious state, and you don't want to fall over things.
- Use natural daylight if you can. In this bedroom the dressing table is placed in front of the window to make as much use of daylight as possible.
- You'll need storage space, and the most economical use of space is often built-in storage or a number of wardrobes.
- Seating - stools, easy chairs, small chairs - are often overlooked in bedrooms. If you have the space, add a few chairs and stools. They add character and functionality to the room.
- Focus lighting - where light sources are placed to provide light in specific areas - is important for your bedroom interior decorating. Classic solutions are lamps on bedside tables and over dressing tables.
This first illustration shows a computer generated color scheme based on the floor plan shown above, and viewed from the door on the left. It uses bright yellow striped wallpaper, with painted wood furniture to tone, and green and yellow fabrics.
By keeping the colors light the room has a bright, airy feel to it.
Here is the same room setting, but using a deep red striped wallpaper and red fabrics. All the paintwork, carpet and other details are the same.
This shows how you can completely change a room's character by using different color schemes for your bedroom interior decorating. Now the room has a heavier, more enclosing character, but keeping the relatively light carpet prevents it from becoming oppressive.
(For more information on planning your bedroom go to the bedroom design page.)
Sometimes your bedroom can provide a place of escape. In our busy world it's often a good idea to spend a little time alone and relax. When you have a room which you love to be in, a place which helps you to unwind, it's a place you'll come to appreciate more and more.
When it comes to selecting colors, there's a very useful product to help you choose ones which look good.
The Shortcut to Perfect Paint Colors - Paint Color Cheat Sheets